In the following text, we will attempt to enumerate all the documents that are necessary to have with you when traveling to Greece. There is a great probability that no one will ask for most of these documents. However, if someone does request them and you are unable to present them, you risk being turned away at the border or facing hefty fines, both in Serbia and in North Macedonia, Bulgaria, or Greece.

Please read below for specific points to pay attention to.

Travel Document, i.e. Passport

Ensure that your passport is valid. Since 2013, the requirement for Serbian citizens to enter any EU member state is to possess a travel document that has been issued within the last ten years and is valid for at least three months beyond the planned departure date from the EU member state. Passengers who do not meet these criteria will be denied entry at the border. Read more HERE.

Proof of Sufficient Funds

For your stay in Greece, it is necessary to have adequate funds. The prescribed minimum for a stay of up to 5 days is €50 per person per day and a total of at least €300 for this period. For minors, the amount is reduced by 50%. If you do not have cash, you can prove your possession of funds with a bank statement or a confirmation of the balance on your credit or debit card. If you are traveling through Bulgaria by car, in addition to the €50 per day, border officials may also request an additional €150.

Green Card (for North Macedonia)

If you plan to travel through North Macedonia, it is still necessary to possess a green card. The insurance company that issued your mandatory insurance policy also issues the green card. In case you forget your green card and arrive at the border, there is no need to worry. You can obtain a temporary insurance policy from AMS Insurance (at major border crossings where there are branches of the Automobile and Motorcycle Association of Serbia), which entitles you to a green card. The cost is around €20, and it is valid for approximately 7 days. You do not need this document for Greece, only the registration sticker obtained during vehicle registration.

Travel Health Insurance

Read more HERE.

Return Transportation Ticket

This is also on the list of mandatory documents if you are not traveling as part of a travel agency’s organization.

Written and Certified Consent from Parents for Traveling with Minors

According to the official announcement of the Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Serbia, a minor up to the age of 16 must possess the written and certified consent of both parents (if they exercise joint parental rights or have a legal guardian) in order to cross the state border when traveling alone or accompanied by someone who is not their parent or legal guardian. Read more HERE.


You need this if you are traveling through Bulgaria. Read more about vignettes and travel costs HERE.

International Driving Permit for Driving a Foreign Vehicle Abroad

If you are traveling to Greece with a foreign vehicle, according to the law, you need an international driving permit, which you can obtain from the Automobile and Motorcycle Association of Serbia (AMSS). Although this permit is often not required at the border, it is mandatory by law, and you may be turned away at the border if you do not have it. Find more details HERE.

Documents for Pets (if traveling with you)

The entry of pets is regulated by European legislation, and it is necessary to have: a pet passport, proof of rabies vaccination not older than 15 days, and a certificate from an authorized veterinarian regarding the pet’s health condition. Read more HERE.

Child Car Seat with ECE Standard 4403 Sticker

Read more HERE.

Voucher/Confirmation of Accommodation Reservation

Border authorities may also request a voucher from a travel agency for tourism trips, hotel reservations, or a confirmation of a private address where you will be staying.

Driving License

You can find summarized recommendations before leaving on a trip in our article HERE.