Not many people can resist the richness of the taste and variety of Greek sweets.
Except for all the famous treats that are covered with sugar syrup (baklava, kadaif ...), there are many others.
Here are a few of the most famous:
1. Portocalopita – a phyllo cake with orange flavor covered with sugar syrup. The most famous portocalopita is prepared on Crete.
2. Kurabiedes – a traditional Christmas cake. It’s similar to Serbian vanilla cakes ( “Vanilica”). We have already written a lot about this candy here.
3. Baklava - with walnuts or pistachios, with sugar and honey syrup.
4. Lukumades - donuts in sugar syrup and honey, sprinkled with cinnamon. Well known to our tourists, as they are sold at the beaches. They can be bought at all pastry shops.
5. Kadaifs – apart from baklava, kadaif is by far the most famous Greek cake. They are made of special thread-like pasta. And this cake is sprinkled with sugar syrup as well.
6. Melomacarona - soft Christmas biscuits dipped in honey and sprinkled with walnuts. Read more about them here.
7. Tsoureki – the Easter sweet bread. Mastic and mahlepi give It a specific flavor and make it a favorite Greek dessert. Read more about tsoureki here.